To update the firmware of your Nitrokey Start, proceed as follows.
- Install pip3.
$ sudo apt install python3-pip
- Install pynitrokey. For this you need an internet connection
$ pip3 install --user pynitrokey
- Connect your Nitrokey Start and verify its recognition.
$ nitropy start list *** Nitrokey tool for Nitrokey FIDO2 & Nitrokey Start :: 'Nitrokey Start' keys: FSIJ-1.2.15-87042524: Nitrokey Nitrokey Start (RTM.8)
- Start the update process. For this you need an internet connection.
$ nitropy start update
- You will then be asked to enter the admin PIN of your Nitrokey Start. (Default PIN: 12345678)
*** Nitrokey tool for Nitrokey FIDO2 & Nitrokey Start Nitrokey Start firmware update tool Platform: Linux-5.3.0-59-generic-x86_64-with-Ubuntu-18.04-bionic System: Linux, is_linux: True Python: 3.6.9 Saving run log to: /tmp/nitropy.log.d4erqux4 Admin password: "your admin PIN"
- Under "Device" you will find information about the current version of your Nitrokey Start. In the first item under "Please note" you can see the latest firmware version available. Now you have to confirm the update with "yes".
Firmware data to be used: - FirmwareType.REGNUAL: 4504, hash: ...b'65ac82a1' valid (from ...built/RTM.10/regnual.bin) - FirmwareType.GNUK: 131072, hash: ...b'f85da8f7' valid (from ...prebuilt/RTM.10/gnuk.bin) Currently connected device strings: Device: Vendor: Nitrokey Product: Nitrokey Start Serial: FSIJ-1.2.15-43100927 Revision: RTM.9 Config: NITROKEY_START:dfu=no:debug=no:pinpad=no:certdo=yes:factory_reset=yes Sys: 3.0 Please note: - Latest firmware available is: RTM.10 (published: 2020-06-04T12:34:14Z), provided firmware: None - All data will be removed from the device - Do not interrupt the update process, or the device will not run properly - Whole process should not take more than 1 minute Do you want to continue? [yes/no]: yes
- You can check the firmware version after the upgrade process has completed.
$ nitropy start list *** Nitrokey tool for Nitrokey FIDO2 & Nitrokey Start :: 'Nitrokey Start' keys: FSIJ-1.2.15-87042524: Nitrokey Nitrokey Start (RTM.10)